Delhi Police Detained Tibetan Man For Passport Swap

Delhi Police Detained Tibetan Man  for passport swap from Indira Gandhi International Airport, New Delhi for trying to swap his passport with a Nepali to make him board his flight to USA. The Tibetan man is a refugee living in United States who made a deal to help a Nepali citizen reach to the United States.

“A Tibetan man, living as a refugee in the US, was arrested on Sunday at the Delhi airport for allegedly allowing a Nepali citizen to travel on his documents after accepting Rs 40 lakh from him.” said the report in Times of India.

The Tibetan man, Wangyal Pema met the Nepali, Rajendra Gurung through a tout. The Nepali desperately wanted to reach the United States and seek the refugee status there while he could not furnish valid documents to travel there, a tout connected these two.

“On Sunday, both reached the Indira Gandhi International Airport’s Terminal 3. While Pema had his legal papers and visa, Gurung had an Air India ticket to Mumbai.” said the report.

“Pema, who had come to India a month ago, passed the immigration channel with his papers and Gurung went through the immigration channel from the domestic counter with the boarding pass for the Air India flight, which operates from the international side of Terminal 3. Both then went to the washroom and exchanged their travel papers.” added the report.

“Gurung then went to board the United Airline flight UA-83 to Newark, USA, with the boarding pass and passport of Pema. During checking of the papers, the airline staff got suspicious and alerted the CISF.” said the report.

While Gurung was detained, he revealed the details of the plot upon investigation. He told officials that he tried to pass off as his friend and believed that the securitymen would not spot him because they “looked alike” as per the report.

Pema was intercepted at the boarding gate, who was trying to board the Air India flight to Mumbai while reviewing through CCTV and was handed over to the Immigration. They have both been handed over to the Delhi Police for further investigation.

Share this on

TJ editor

Editor at Tibetan Journal

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *