Now Tibetans of All Ages Living in India Need to Make RCs

The government of India has updated its policy regarding the issuance of Registration Certificates (RCs) to the Tibetan refugees living in the country. According to the new policy, all Tibetans living in India, irrespective of ages need to make the Registration Certificates (RCs) and the instruction has been circulated to all Tibetan settlements.

The Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India on April 25, 2018 decided to make it mandatory for all the Tibetans living in the country, irrespective of ages, to make the RCs, the government certificate that allows the Tibetan refugees in the country to live there on that status. Following that policy, the Department of Security, Central Tibetan Administration in Dharamshala on February 11, 2019 circulated a notice to all the Tibetan settlements in the country, instructing the change in the policy.

Previously, Tibetans living in the country required to make the RCs once they reach the age of 16. However, the Tibetans are now required to make RCs irrespective of ages, i.e., right from the time of infancy. According to the circular, those children born in India can apply for their RCs online. Their applications should be backed by a valid birth certificate, a photograph, a supporting letter from the Tibetan office and the Department of Security, CTA, Dharamshala. Once it has been reviewed by the respective police department, their RCs will be delivered via their email ids.

In the past few years, besides digitising the procedures in the renewal of RCs, there has been tremendous effort in easing it up for the Tibetans. While the entire process of making or renewal of the RCs for Tibetans have been made online, one of the most significant changes have been the relaxation of the validity of the Tibetan RCs from one year to five years.

Share this on

TJ editor

Editor at Tibetan Journal

One thought on “Now Tibetans of All Ages Living in India Need to Make RCs

  • February 21, 2019 at 8:54 pm

    Not sure if this is correct info but if it is then infant can have their travel document as well


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *