Five Tibetan Youths in Race for the First Youth Icon Award

Five of young Tibetans are in race to the first ever Youth Icon Award organized by the Global Tibetan Students Union. The students union on Monday launched the public polling of the five finalists of their Youth Icon Award. According to the official social media page of the students union, there are three women and two men listed in the finalists.

The GTSU in June this year announced in a press conference that they are launching the first ever Tibetan Youth Icon Award. All Tibetan students associations were allowed to nominate two candidates for the award. GTSU has then finalized five of the youths most nominated by the participating student associations. All nominations required to have exceptional leadership skills and outstanding achievement in community services.

Five of the finalists are Lhagyari Namgyal Dolkar, 33, member of Tibetan Parliament in Exile and president of Gu Chu Sum; Tenzin Yangchen, 24, President of Yangchen’s Medical Team; Gonpo Dhondup, 24, President of Tibetan Youth Congress; Chemi Lhamo, 23, President of Scarborough Campus Student’s Union and Kalsang Tashi, 22, Former President of SFT Bangalore.

According to the student’s union, the winner of the Youth Icon Award will be awarded with a cash prize of 1,00,000 rupees. While the public polling for the finalists will carry a weight of 40% in the selection process, GTSU has formed a five member judges panel who will decide on the remaining 60% weight of the selection process.

The students union in their official post explains that they believe in recognizing, encouraging and celebrating youth success. Through this award they aims to empower and motivate younger generation of Tibetan society to dream bigger and make extensive contributions to the society. The public polling for the five finalists are live on their Facebook page and it will be open till July 12.

Share this on

Editor TJ

Editor at Tibetan Journal, News/Reviews/Opinions

2 thoughts on “Five Tibetan Youths in Race for the First Youth Icon Award

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *